Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A day in the life of a TU commuter dance major.

Deep in sleep, I hear a bell ringing. It is 4:30 AM, and my first alarm is sounding. I hope I am dreaming and the bell will soon stop, but this is not a dream. With eyes still closed, I stumble across the room, arm outstretched, and fingers clawing to find this persistent alarm clock. Finally my fingers grasp it, and I fumble to find the off switch. Silence at last. I dive back under the covers to get a little more sleep.

Soon, a second alarm sounds. This is not a bell or another mechanical sound, but a sound that is a cross between an angry Donald Duck and a bark. It seems to be saying “Let me out!  Bwah! Bwah! Bwah! Bwah! It is our Pomeranian dogs, Roxie Hart and Betty Boop, announcing that morning has come, and they need to go outside.  I hear my parents getting up to take them outside while I hunker down for another 15 minutes of sleep.

The third alarm sounds at 6 AM. Now my day really begins. Reluctantly, I get out of bed and turn on my computer to check for any new announcements concerning my classes. I get dressed and hurry downstairs to be greeted by Roxie and Betty, tails wagging, begging to be picked up. They shadow me as I prepare my breakfast and lunch, waiting for the stray crumb to drop to the floor.

At 7 AM, I head out to my car for the twenty mile commute to TU. Fortunately, I travel on the inner loop of the Baltimore Beltway. The outer loop is so congested, in places it looks like a parking lot.  Finally, I arrive and pull into a fairly empty parking garage.  I take a few minutes to stretch my arms and legs which are stiff after driving. Birds are chirping as sunshine streams into the garage. I feel its warmth caress my face when I step outside for the short walk to the Center for the Arts. The building is quiet and still; it is early, and only a few people are inside. I love this quiet time. I unwind, eat my breakfast, and mentally prepare for class.

My only class today is one of my favorites: Ballet III taught by Runqiao Du. I especially love his grand allegros which are filled with big jumps and expansive movements. The TU studios are spacious, bright, and airy – the perfect place for grand jetes, saut de basques, sissones, glissades, chasses, and assembles across the floor. Because I don’t need to worry about running into a wall, I can cover more ground and make my movement bigger.

Today I particularly enjoyed dancing the petite allegro combination. It was simple, but very effective: four chasse sissone arabesques traveling in a diagonal and ending with two sissone glissade jetes. I went with the two guys in our class and pushed myself to match their strides and their elevation. I love jumps because they give me a sense a freedom and exhilaration. It is the closest man can come to flying without assistance from another source.

Class ends and I am free until Dance Company rehearsal, which today is for Swan Lake.  I relax on one of the Dance Department’s couches, enjoying the fruit cup I have brought for lunch. The sound of musicians practicing echoes through the hall as I read my psychology book. Occasionally, a voice interrupts my reading. I look up only to see someone talking on a Bluetooth headset.  I return to my reading.

Finally it is time for Swan Lake. I can’t believe I am Odette. A Russian teacher I had when I was twelve called me her “ugly duckling” because I did not have a good ballet body: short arms, short legs, long torso. Now, this ugly duckling must become a swan.
Ballerina Erin Mahoney is teaching us this role. I watch her beautiful arms undulate as if they had no bones in them. I try and try, but I cannot achieve her effortless motion.  Maybe, if I work every day, I can master it.

Rehearsal ends. I take off my pointe shoes and notice a blister on my bunion. I didn’t even feel it because I was concentrating so hard on the arms. This blister will take a long time to heal because my bunion always rubs against the pointe shoe, and I can’t protect it.

I walk to the garage with other dancers. We are all tired and can’t wait to get home.
I feel as though I am on automatic pilot driving home. Rush hour is over and traffic has lightened. Before I know it, I am home.

 Again, I am vocally greeted by Roxie and Betty who become spinning balls of fur when they see me come through the door. It’s been a long day and it’s good to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment